What is Depression?
- Depression is a mental health condition characterized by persistent changes in mood or lack of interest in daily activities.
- There are several types of depression including: major depression, persistent depressive disorder, bipolar mood disorder, psychotic depression, postpartum depression, and seasonal affective disorder.
- Depression can be treated with medication and therapy.
Symptoms of Depression
Symptoms of major depression include the following:
- Loss of interest in activities that once brought joy
- Change in appetite
- Difficulty sleeping, or sleeping more than usual
- Fatigue or lack of energy
- Agitation or irritability
- Feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, guilt, or inadequacy
- Difficulty concentrating or making decisions
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
- Unexplained aches and pains